I don’t believe or agree with this, but many people argue that homosexuality is a slippery slope to pedophilia and bestiality. Until my recent podcast interview with Chelsey Glassco. I never understood why people made this argument. And although their primary assumption is faulty, their logic is sound. If you were to go into the […]
The Wisdom of Stones - Can you be gay and Christian?
Abandoned by his father at age seven, Ben loses his mother to a car accident that same year and becomes his grandparents’ responsibility – and their joy.
Handing his grandfather an arrowhead he finds at his mother’s funeral, Ben sets in motion an agreement between them: Ben gifts his grandfather a stone and his grandfather gifts him a story. Months later when Mee Maw falls ill, Ben makes yet another deal – this time with God – that if Mee Maw recovers, Ben will dedicate himself to the church. These commitments inform the man he will become.
But life has a way of throwing us curve balls, and it throws Ben a doozy; no matter how hard he tries, he can’t pray away the gay. And being gay is in direct conflict with his church’s teachings, a roadblock to him becoming a minister.
A beautifully written and relevant coming-of-age story, The Wisdom of Stones is a tribute to one young man’s heart-wrenching journey towards self-acceptance, the relationship between a boy and his grandpa, an exploration of the impact of each generation on the next, and a tribute to the courage it takes to define and then make the right choices for ourselves, this novel is destined to become a new Southern classic.
Latest Blog Post
For thirty-one years Scott McQueen was a Southern Baptist preacher. And as the parent of three boys, he was a “parrot” of the orthodox message about homosexuality. But on April 8, 2014, when his youngest son came out to him as gay, Scott’s life and his spiritual journey changed forever. One of the most difficult moments […]
Order Deep Dive: Sanctuary Cities
Deep Dive: Sanctuary Cities takes an in-depth look into the hot button issue of sanctuary jurisdictions. People are busy, headlines are click bait, and “facts” get repeated so often, they take on a life of their own.
This Deep Dive covers:
- What does it mean to be a “sanctuary jurisdiction”
- Complete but concise history of sanctuary jurisdictions in the United States
- Detailed legal analysis of the issues surrounding sanctuary jurisdictions explained in plain language and
- A ripped-from-the-headlines but fictionalized dilemma that shows how different people respond to this issue
- Brian’s response to the dilemma from progressive point of view
- Donna’s response to dilemma from conservative point of view
- Takeaway – what Brian and Donna learned from each other
- Reading group discussions questions prepared to stimulate thoughtful discussion of the issues
- Balanced and accurate facts and data regarding sanctuary jurisdictions