WHY DO YOU PRAY? HOW DO YOU PRAY? WHAT DO YOU PRAY? These questions have occupied a lot of my thinking time recently. A few months ago, I embarked on a personal quest to reclaim Christianity from so-called “Christians.” I realize that I’ve let them hijack one of the most important tools of my religious […]
The Wisdom of Stones - Can you be gay and Christian?
Abandoned by his father at age seven, Ben loses his mother to a car accident that same year and becomes his grandparents’ responsibility – and their joy.
Handing his grandfather an arrowhead he finds at his mother’s funeral, Ben sets in motion an agreement between them: Ben gifts his grandfather a stone and his grandfather gifts him a story. Months later when Mee Maw falls ill, Ben makes yet another deal – this time with God – that if Mee Maw recovers, Ben will dedicate himself to the church. These commitments inform the man he will become.
But life has a way of throwing us curve balls, and it throws Ben a doozy; no matter how hard he tries, he can’t pray away the gay. And being gay is in direct conflict with his church’s teachings, a roadblock to him becoming a minister.
A beautifully written and relevant coming-of-age story, The Wisdom of Stones is a tribute to one young man’s heart-wrenching journey towards self-acceptance, the relationship between a boy and his grandpa, an exploration of the impact of each generation on the next, and a tribute to the courage it takes to define and then make the right choices for ourselves, this novel is destined to become a new Southern classic.
Latest Blog Post
Mais Al-Nima was born in Baghdad, Iraq and spent her childhood there. Then she lived in Syria and Kuwait before coming to the United States for school. She grew up as a practicing Muslim, but when she came out as queer, she put aside her faith. But she longed for that sense of community that […]
Order Deep Dive: Sanctuary Cities
Deep Dive: Sanctuary Cities takes an in-depth look into the hot button issue of sanctuary jurisdictions. People are busy, headlines are click bait, and “facts” get repeated so often, they take on a life of their own.
This Deep Dive covers:
- What does it mean to be a “sanctuary jurisdiction”
- Complete but concise history of sanctuary jurisdictions in the United States
- Detailed legal analysis of the issues surrounding sanctuary jurisdictions explained in plain language and
- A ripped-from-the-headlines but fictionalized dilemma that shows how different people respond to this issue
- Brian’s response to the dilemma from progressive point of view
- Donna’s response to dilemma from conservative point of view
- Takeaway – what Brian and Donna learned from each other
- Reading group discussions questions prepared to stimulate thoughtful discussion of the issues
- Balanced and accurate facts and data regarding sanctuary jurisdictions